Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Australia

I went to see this film with my sister yesterday...it was breathtaking. It may be the best film I've seen since The Patriot or Lord of the Rings as far as how much it inspired and challenged me.

So beautifully filmed, showing the incredible scenery of Australia in a remarkable way. The characters were stunning. So much bravery and selfless sacrifice for one another. They're living life to the full. Even when it seems impossible to carry on...they keep going, even if it costs their life, to finish what they set out to do.

There's a quote early on in the movie...I wish I could remember it better. But Hugh Jackman's character, Drover, says something like, "All a person takes with them from life is their story, I'm just trying to live a good one." Wow, if I would live with that mindset and not get so concerned with all the material things of the world. It's the things we do, the lives we touch that really matters. What story are we telling through the life that we're living?

Well done Baz Luhrmann, in directing a truly epic masterpiece that can speak to all hearts and make us stop and think about where we're at and what we're doing. At least that's what this film did for me.