Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

The first time watching this film I was a bit disappointed in it as it is my favorite book in the Chronicles of Narnia series and they changed it so much. But after thinking about it a bit and watching it one more time, I’ve decided I truly do like it a whole lot and I’m even happy for a few changes, and here is why.
Perhaps we could be offended that C. S. Lewis’ genius work was tampered with and ought to have been left as it was…but he himself never stuck to this rule. In his letters to children he replies to a child who asked him to write more stories about Narnia and asks about some of the wars mentioned in the books, stories that are never told, only mentioned. His response was that they ought to write their own story about Narnia. I think because of the allegory in the books, C. S. Lewis didn’t claim it as having to be exactly so, I think he wanted children to make their own Narnia…just as we as Christians have our own unique relationship and journey with God. No two adventures are the same.
This being said, I think some of the new parts added to the story and also made it somewhat of a surprise to audiences who have read the books numerous times.
The one plot twist I didn’t care for was the change in Peter’s character. He’s one of my favorite characters in the book because he truly is selfless and so noble and good. (of course he does make mistakes occasionally) But I was disappointed with how self righteous they made him in this. However, sitting back and taking it as a new story in Narnia…it was a great lesson to learn in humility and leadership.
So, yes, despite many plot twist and even character changes…I really loved this film. It still had that good strong message of standing strong for what is right, even when voices of doubt tempt us to believe in something as little as ourselves alone instead of the One who’s greater than any other.
For Narnia! And for Aslan!